Friday, March 6, 2009

Snow...Snow...Snow

April 24th, 2009 LoL- I found a whole new area of blogger called 'edit posts'. Do you know what was in it. My lost draft of the original post I was re wrote below. Can we say Insult to Injury or rather my assumed injury. Hilarious!

Ok so I was almost finished writing my post for today...I was almost finished and then suddenly it left my message and went back to my blog without saving it. ARRRRRRG! I am pretty bad at blogging as it is and I am really trying to stay up on it while we are here. Oh well, here I go again.

It has been a good day. We woke up to a wet snow falling.
Brandyn left to go check out the plant and the boys and I hung around the apt. just enjoying not having to do anything.
We put puzzles together, the boys played with their rescue hero's and took video clips with my phone.

Once dad got home we found out he had a good time at the plant. The people were nice and impressed with his Resume. He is really looking forward to learning new things and feels confident he will be able to add to the programs here as well. Another American family (one of Brandyn's co-workers from TN) arrived today. We visited briefly with them as well as Orin (another co-worker who came in the same day as us). Orin has been really great, he is the one who took us into Baden yesterday to look around.
Ammon and I went shopping today for the first time (Brandyn picked some things up the first day when he was out with a Swiss co-worker, but this was the first time for me.)
It felt great!
We Did It And We Were SO Proud!
It was a little intimidating. Not everyone speaks English here and we learned a few things by trial and error, but we figured it out!
We came home made dinner and for the first night everyone went down at a reasonable hour. I think we are finally adjusted to the time change now.
The first night we all woke around 1 am Swiss time and didn't go back to bed until 5am. Thankfully the American Family that came today lives below us and was not here then.

The boys are doing quite well and use the little German they have already picked up as often as they can. It is really cute. Just simple words like please, thank you and your welcome. I think they are going to come along with the language just fine.

I was googling LDS Missionaries in Wettingen, Switzerland today when I came across a member’s site. I was able to send her an email and she called me. She is a native Swiss married to an Englishman. Her English was good and we had a great talk. She gave me lots of info about church and the members here.
There are 180 members in the ward and 110+ attend church regularly.
There are 30 children who come to primary. Isn't that awesome!
Ammon's teacher is away for the next month and does not speak much English. The previous Bishop may be taking his place while he is away and I can't remember if she said he speaks English or not.
Kaleb's teacher is actually American and is married to a native Swiss. She has lived here 10 years and naturally speaks both languages.
Hyrum's teacher speaks English as well.
Of course classes are conducted in German. I think this will be terrific as the boys will be exposed to a lot of German while their teachers will be able to understand them. (Cause when you got to go, you got to go! Just kidding, I couldn't help it.)
We continue to feel more comfortable everyday. We still have the huge hurdle of figuring out the transportation but it is coming. I figured out on my own between two maps and the bus routes the fasted way to get to church. I was actually right, as I checked with Sabine and the Clerk at church. (Sabine is the member with the website I found, who called me.)
Anyways I need to get to bed and get this posted before it gets lost again.
We sure love everyone and hope to see some of you over here this summer.
gute Nacht

6 comments:

Joy said...

Sounds like so much fun! I am so excited to hear about your adventures. We got snow today too! Love you!

Freedom Warrior said...

We are so happy for you guys! I think Switzerland is one of the prettiest places I have ever seen. We are anxious to see if we can make it work to come visit you while you are there. Girl's Camp got changed to the second week in August so our summer is kind of messed up now as far as leaving when we usually do... but we will try to make it work! We love you guys.

Try a quartle funta mit kasse und pomme fritz (sp?) I know you will like this meal!

Papa E.

Maria said...

Jen,good to hear an update on things. My thoughts and prayers go with you on this adventure.

The Olsens said...

Hey sis, I am glad to hear things are going so well. What an amazing opportunity for the entire family. God is Good.

Isaiah got his first tooth on Sunday. It is so cute.

Love you
Ben, Sonya & Isaiah

Connie said...

jen - it's awesome to hear how you are doing! I miss you! I hope everything went well at church yesterday> You'll have to post that info. So does your email work, or do I have to do something special? It's been fun seeing your sister at Enrichment and Church, and fun getting to know your mom better. She's great! I love having someone that will comment in my Sunday School class!! Love ya- Connie

K and K said...

Hey Jen - I followed you here from your comments.. It will be fun to follow you and see how the adjustments are going! What a beautiful area, I'm glad you're finding your way around. Call me anytime you need someone to empathize ;)
love ya, Kristy